Monday, July 11, 2011

Heroics

It's hard for me to fathom, but there are still a lot of people out there - not all of them men - who dismiss women's sports as some sort inferior endeavor. Slower, weaker, less athletic, less skilled. Less deserving of attention. What nonsense. Two of the most dramatic, clutch, courageous, even heroic athletic performances I've ever seen were performed by women.

Here is one, which fifteen years later still puts a lump in my throat:



And yesterday was another that I shall never, ever, ever forget:



[UPDATE: Dammit! Video pulled because of a copyright claim by FIFA! What sort of idiots try to quash free advertising? Most sorts, it seems.]

2 comments:

James Hanley said...

Heh, I posted that video, too.

Scott Hanley said...

Saw it! I believe epic is the popular term these days.