Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Apropos of nothing at all

So I'm reading blogs, especially takedowns of WorldnetDaily, and my mind suddenly takes me back to the ol' D&D days, when I actually subscribed to The Dragon magazine, read it cover to cover, and tried out most of their suggestions (not IRL, though). And I remember an issue that included a game, complete with cut-out board and components, called "Food Fight." You moved your player around a school cafeteria, throwing different foods at your rivals. Some foods caused more "damage" than others and you tried to use up your opponents' hit points before your own were exhausted and you had to retire from the fight in disgust.

Here's what I remember: the cheerleader character had, oh, five hit points or something like that. The first Boston cream pie that landed in her hair, she was fleeing the room. The nerd, on the other hand - he had 100 hit points. He could be one sticky, gooey mass of butterscotch pudding, with soybean porkchops sticking out both ears and keep going with no sense of embarrassment. Not a fair fight at all.

Just a random memory while reading people trying to criticize idiots on the web. I have no idea why I remembered that just now.



PS. You can find anything on the web! Especially if it appeals to nerds.



2 comments:

James Hanley said...

Ah, nostalgia. When I hear people talk about D&D, I never recognize the game we played. I still appreciate that we so often put more effort into thinking our way through problems than simply fighting our way through.

And in 3 years or so, I only gained about 3 or 4 levels. Good practice for going through grad school and trying to become a tenured academic.

Scott Hanley said...

I still appreciate that we so often put more effort into thinking our way through problems than simply fighting our way through.

We did? I still remember Por-Teb throwing molotov cocktails at everything that moved ....